Authors Phillip Miller and Paul Scoptur, contributors and course advisors for the American Association for Justice (formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America [ATLA®]) Advanced Depositions College, bring you a comprehensive book on depositions.
A successful deposition is the direct result of thoughtful planning and preparation. In Advanced Depositions Strategy and Practice, Miller and Scoptur reveal proven tactics for how to elicit the information you need to support your case theory and craft a cohesive, convincing trial theme.
The authors provide techniques for a focused case analysis, and show you how to effectively navigate through the obstacles you will encounter during depositions. In addition to strategy, this book provides a wealth of specific examples from real case depositions. You will learn how to:
- Nail down case-critical facts
- Decide on questioning approaches
- Use juror attitudes and beliefs to your advantage
- Obtain all useful information from each deponent
- Maintain control of each witness's testimony
- Handle evasive, hostile, uncooperative, opposing, and expert witnesses
What do we do most in our practices? Take depositions. This book brings together years and years of mastering advanced depositions skills so that you can take exceptional depositions.